A good gingerbread bunny isn’t just for kids! These treats will make you the star of the campground. This dough is very forgiving, so even the little ones can give it a try.
MAKES ABOUT 10 BUNNIES
- 100g butter
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 100g brown (or dark) sugar
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 225g plain flour
- 150g icing sugar
- Heat butter, syrup and sugar in a saucepan until melted, stirring occasionally. Leave to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, combine the bicarb, ginger, cinnamon and flour.
- Pour in the wet syrup mixture and, using your hands, make a soft dough.
- Lay it onto a sheet of baking paper in a baking tray, cover with a second piece, and roll the dough to a thickness of about ½cm. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 190°.
- Cut out your bunnies with a cookie cutter and place on your baking tray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on your dough’s thickness, remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Mix icing sugar with 3-4 tablespoons of water to create a thick icing.
- Decorate your cooled bunnies and enjoy!