- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, peeled, halved and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 spicy chorizo sausage, cut in half lengthways and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons Cajun spice mix
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 x 330ml bottle lager beer
- 300ml cream
- 600g fresh prawns, peeled with tail left on
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place a large frying pan over a high heat and add the olive oil. When hot, add the onions, chorizo and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the chorizo is crispy. Stir through the spices, sugar and diced tomatoes then add the beer.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cook for 10 minutes or until the beer and tomatoes have reduced right down to form a thick paste.
- Slowly pour in the cream while stirring continuously. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until the sauce changes to a rich orange colour.
- Add the prawns, cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper, and cook for a few minutes or until the prawns are just cooked through. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- This dish is perfect served with chunks of fresh baguette to mop up the sauce; rice or pasta would also be yummy.