Brussel sprouts have a bad reputation mostly through overcooking or produce not been fresh, which can result in a bitter taste. This is a great recipe to use as an introduction to these ‘fairy cabbages’—raw and thinly sliced, with a delicate flavour, they make a great base to a slaw.
This is such a fresh spring salad and is a perfect accompaniment to the richer flavours in the pork. It would also be great with fish or chicken.
- 6–8 brussels sprouts, washed, outer leaves removed, and thinly sliced (we used a mandoline)
- 2 tbsp. fennel fronds, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, washed, trimmed, and thinly sliced (we used a mandoline)
- 1 apple, peeled, core removed, and sliced into julienne strips
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed and diced finely
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise (we used Best Foods)
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl, ensuring that the apple is well coated in the lemon juice. This will prevent the apple from discolouring.
- Toss together.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.