We love the flavours that Thai food brings. The perfect combination of sweet, sour and salty will make this dish one of your go-to easy meals.
This is also great to prepare earlier if you are heading out for a picnic, or leftovers for a work lunch. Make sure that if you are preparing earlier, store the cooked beef, dressing and salad separately and combine just before serving to keep everything fresh and crunchy.
- 400g fillet steak
- Olive oil
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed finely sliced
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp light soy sauce
- Zest of one lime
- Juice of 1 or 2 limes (depending on taste and size of limes)
- ¼ red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cups of your choice of salad greens
- ½ cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- Large handful fresh coriander
- Large handful fresh mint
- 1 cup crispy noodles
- ½ cup crispy shallots (optional)
- Season fillet steak with salt and brush with a little olive oil.
- Heat a frying pan or barbeque to a high heat and cook steak to your liking. We recommend medium rare for this recipe.
- Remove from heat, cover with tinfoil, and set aside.
- Combine the 5 ingredients for the dressing together, adding juice of one lime to begin with, tasting then adding more if needed.
- In a small bowl cover sliced red onion with cold water and 3-4 ice cubes. This stops the onion being too overpowering. (If you love the taste of red onion you can skip this step).
- Mix the rest of the salad ingredients together, reserving shallots for garnish.
- Drain red onions and toss into the salad.
- Once beef has rested and cooled, finely slice.
- Top the salad with the sliced beef and drizzle with dressing, topping with crispy shallots.
Don't miss Nikki and Jordan's recipes in every issue of Motorhomes Caravans & Destinations. Subscribe here.