Serves 10 to 12
- ½ cup (70g) pistachios, finely chopped or ground
- 1¾ cups (175g) ground almonds
- ½ cup (65g) plain gluten-free flour (we use Bakels or Edmonds)
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- Zest of 1 lime
- 4 eggs
- 2 fresh plums or canned plums,
- pips removed, finely diced
- ½ cup (14g) freeze-dried sliced plums
- 1¾-2 cups (270g-300g) icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon freeze-dried plums, crushed into a powder
- 1-2 fresh plums or canned plums, pips removed, very finely diced
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice
- Small handful pistachios, roughly chopped; small handful freeze-dried sliced plums or a couple of fresh or canned plums, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- To prepare the cake: Grease and line a 23cm or 26cm spring-form cake tin with baking paper. In a mixing bowl combine the pistachios, ground almonds, gluten-free flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a cake mixer or handheld electric beater, cream the butter and sugar together until very light and fluffy. Add the vanilla seeds and lime zest and beat until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the inside of the bowl to ensure the eggs are well incorporated. Fold through the dry ingredients then fold through the fresh or canned plums and the freeze-dried plums.
- Transfer the cake batter into the prepared tin and bake for 45-60 minutes or until the cake is springy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- To prepare the icing: place all the ingredients into a small bowl and mix until well combined. If the icing is a little thick add more lime or if too thin add a little more icing sugar.
- To assemble the cake: transfer the cake onto a serving dish. Spread the icing over the top and place in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes for the icing to set.
- To serve: sprinkle with pistachios and pieces of freeze-dried plums. Crush some of the freeze-dried plums in your hand and scatter over the top; this will give the cake a lovely dark red dusting of plum and a burst of rich plum flavour. Serve with natural yoghurt or whipped cream.