Serves 6, prep time and cook time 45 minutes
- 600g baby squid, cleaned
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium (350g) leek, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 medium (200g) red capsicum, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- generous pinch of saffron threads
- 2 cups (400g) paella rice (calasparra or arborio)
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 litre (4 cups) fish stock
- micro cress and lemon wedges, to serve
- With a sharp knife, cut the squid tubes crossways into thin slices, leaving the underside uncut. Put the squid tubes and tentacles into a bowl with 2 tablespoons of the oil and lemon juice. Cover; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat the remaining oil in a 30cm paella pan or large frying pan; cook the leek and garlic, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the capsicum, paprika and saffron; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the rice and stir to coat in the spicy oil.
- Stir in the tomato and 3 cups (750ml) of the stock; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low; cook for a further 10 minutes or until the rice is tender. Add the remaining fish stock if the rice needs a little more cooking.
- When rice is almost cooked, heat a grill plate or frying pan over high heat; cook squid for 2 minutes each side or until just cooked through. Transfer onto rice; scatter with cress. Serve with lemon wedges.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.