- 4 x 300 g lamb shanks, French trimmed (ask your butcher), at room temperature
- 100 ml melted coconut oil or good quality animal fat
- 40g (1⁄3 cup) Curry Powder (recipe in Easy Keto Dinners)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 habanero chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 400ml coconut milk
- 500ml (2 cups) Beef Bone Broth (recipe in Easy Keto Dinners)
- 5 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 handful of herbs (such as dill fronds and coriander leaves)
Pat the lamb shanks dry with paper towel and transfer to a large bowl. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil or animal fat, then sprinkle over half of the curry powder and season with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Toss the lamb shanks gently to evenly coat with the oil and seasoning. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced).
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil or fat in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium–high heat. Add the shanks in batches and brown until golden, about 1 minute on each side. Do not overcrowd the pan. Remove the shanks from the dish and set aside. Wipe the dish clean.
Heat the remaining oil or fat in the dish, add the onion, carrot, celery and chilli and sauté for about 5 minutes until just starting to colour. Stir in the garlic, ginger and the remaining curry powder, mix well with a wooden spoon and continue to sauté for 1–2 minutes.
Return the shanks to the dish, add the coconut milk, broth, tomato, thyme and bay leaves and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover with the lid and transfer to the oven. Braise for 3 hours, then stir in the zucchini, cover and cook for a further 1 hour, or until the meat is falling off the bone. Season with salt and pepper.
Skim the layer of fat off the top of the curry if needed. Scatter over the herbs and serve with the lime wedges.