- 250 g minced beef
- 3 potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 turnip, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup (20 g) finely chopped parsley
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sheets of frozen shortcrust or puff pastry, thawed
- butter, for greasing
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the meat in a bowl and add the potato, carrot, turnip and onion; and stir in the parsley, salt and plenty of pepper. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Working one at a time, place the thawed pastry sheet onto a buttered baking tray. Pile the filling on one half of the pastry to within about 2.5 cm of the edges. Cut around the edges to create a pasty shape, then fold over and seal by pinching both edges with your thumb and finger, or press together with a fork.
- Beat the egg and lightly brush the edges and the top of the pasties.
- Transfer to the oven, bake for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C and bake for 15 minutes more, or until the pastry browns and some of the juices from the filling are beginning to leak out.
Images and text:
From Our Kitchen to Yours by The Country Women’s Association of Victoria, photography by Cath Muscat. Published by Murdoch Books. RRP $36.99.