- 1 chicken, jointed
- 1/2 cup (75 g) plain flour, seasoned with pepper and salt
- 30 g butter
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 12 button mushrooms
- 4 French shallots or 1 onion, sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 250 g tomato passata
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken stock
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- parsley, to garnish
- Preheat oven to moderate. Dip chicken pieces in the flour, reserving the left-over flour.
- Fry chicken in melted butter and oil over medium heat for 5–10 minutes, until golden brown, turning to brown all over. Lift into casserole dish and add mushrooms, shallots and tomatoes.
- With the pan juices, make a sauce by mixing with tomato passata, wine, stock, garlic and reserved flour mix until smooth. Pour over chicken.
- Cook in moderate oven 1 –2 hours.
- Garnish with parsley.
Images and text:
From Our Kitchen to Yours by The Country Women’s Association of Victoria, photography by Cath Muscat. Published by Murdoch Books. RRP $36.99.