Serves 6 cook and prep time 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 3 slices sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 1½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 bunch (300g) spinach, trimmed, rinsed, drained
- 1 bunch (750g) silver beet, stems removed, rinsed, drained
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large frying pan; cook the garlic for 2-3 minutes or until the skins have browned. Cook the sourdough for 4-5 minutes on each side or until crisp and brown. Drain the bread and garlic on paper towel and season with sea salt. Remove the pan from the heat.
- When the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze the garlic out of its skin. Break the bread into small pieces and put the bread and garlic into a food processor. Add the cumin, paprika and a generous spoonful of the chickpeas. Blend to a chunky paste.
- Coarsely chop the spinach and silver beet leaves.
- Return the frying pan to medium heat. Add the spiced paste and cook for a few minutes until lightly golden. Transfer to a bowl. Add the spinach and silver beet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the leaves have completely wilted. Add the remaining chickpeas and spice paste; toss to combine before adding the vinegar. Season to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish and scatter with the pine nuts. Not suitable to freeze or microwave.