This salad is one of our go to summer salads using fresh and seasonal ingredients. Ensure that when you are cooking the broccoli and asparagus, you don’t overcook them, make sure they still have a good crunch. To change it up, try substituting the broccoli for cauliflower. This salad doesn’t need a separate dressing as the olive oil and salt, along with the gorgeous ingredients do the job.
- ½ cup bulgur wheat
- 1 head broccoli, finely sliced (stem and all)
- 12 asparagus spears,cut into thirds
- 4-6 Tbsp light olive oil
- 1 cup mung beans
- 1 large handful of mint, finely sliced
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Soak bulgur wheat in salted boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain and allow to cool, set aside.
- In a large frying pan on a med-high heat, add 4 Tbsp olive oil and pan fry the broccoli with a generous seasoning of salt until beginning to brown (1-2 minutes each side). Remove and set aside to cool.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil and pan fry the asparagus for 2-3 minutes, tossing. Remove, season and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the rest of the salad ingredients and once bulgur wheat, broccoli and asparagus are cooled, toss all ingredients together in a large salad bowl.
- The oil and seasoning from cooking should be enough to season and dress the salad. If not, add another drizzle of olive oil to the salad and season with salt.
Don't miss Nikki and Jordan's recipes in every issue of Motorhomes Caravans & Destinations. Subscribe here.