While on Masterchef NZ, we were asked to develop two dishes that celebrated Kiwi classics. We chose the lamb roast and pavlova. The lamb was accompanied with a ‘green goddess’ dressing packed full of fresh herbs and capers. The dessert was a roasted strawberry and rhubarb compote served with meringue. Simon Gault commented that the green goddess was great, but the compote in the dessert was the “Red Goddess’’.
In this version, we have served the compote with a ginger custard, lemon and ginger jelly and crushed gingernut biscuits….truly a kiwi classic! If you don’t have the time, or inclination to make the custard, just buy one – there are plenty of goodies on the market. Give the custard a go if you haven’t made it before, not hard and super delicious!
- 500g fresh strawberries, if large, quartered, and if small, halved
- 7 stalks rhubarb, cut into 3cm pieces
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1/3cup caster sugar
- 1/3cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place rhubarb and strawberries into a 240 x 240 baking tin.
- Combine the zest, juice, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and then pour over the fruit.
- Bake for 40 minutes but do not stir.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- When cool, strain the fruit from the liquid being careful to keep the fruit in tact.
- Place liquid in a small saucepan and reduce until syrupy, set aside.
Lemon Ginger Jelly Ingredients
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 small knob of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 sheets gold grade gelatine leaves
- Place sugar and water into small saucepan and bring to a simmer, stir until sugar is dissolved. Add ginger and take off heat, letting the ginger flavour infuse into the liquid.
- After 30 minutes put the saucepan back on the heat, when simmering take off heat and strain to remove solids.
- Bloom the gelatine leaves in cold water.
- Add to the strained liquid and stir to combine.
- Pour into a 180 x 250cm flat dish and chill until set.
Ginger Custard Ingredients
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 cup cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp ginger wine
- Place yolks and sugar into a heat proof bowl that fits snuggly over a saucepan.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale.
- Place bowl over gently simmering water and slowly add cream, stirring continuously until it starts to thicken.
- Stir in vanilla and ginger wine.
- When the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, remove from heat.
- Cover with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming and chill, until ready to serve.
Ginger Crumb Ingredients
- ½ pkt Gingernuts
- Roughly chop 10 gingernut biscuits with a knife, set aside.
- Blend 3 gingernut biscuits until a fine crumb.
- In 6 stemless wine glasses, divide the strawberry and rhubarb compote.
- Cut the jelly into small squares and layer over the compote.
- Just before serving add the roughly chopped Gingernuts.
- Pour over custard, dust with Gingernut dust, and top with the reduced syrup.
Don't miss Nikki and Jordan's recipes in every issue of Motorhomes Caravans & Destinations. Subscribe here.