- 400g raw tiger prawns with shells and heads
- 2 Tbsp rice bran oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1cm ginger, julienned
- 3 Tbsp mirin
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 800ml water
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 sachets instant miso
- 1 Tbsp kecap manis
- juice of half lime
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 200g tofu, cubed
- 200g fresh udon noodles
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- handful of snow peas, finely sliced
- ½ red capsicum, finely sliced
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- Peel and devein prawns, reserve shells and heads.
- Heat oil in frying pan, when hot add shells and heads of prawns and cook over high heat. Stir frequently until starting to brown.
- Add onions and ginger and cook for a further 1 minute. Add wine and cook off.
- Add mirin, soy sauce and 500ml water. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a medium pot, heat the other 300ml water with the instant miso paste.
- Strain all the liquid from the prawns into the miso broth.
- Stir in kecap manis, lime juice and fish sauce into the broth.
- Add tofu and udon noodles and keep hot on a low heat.
- In a small pan, heat sesame oil and fry prawn meat for approximately 30 seconds each side or until cooked.
- Divide noodles, tofu and broth between bowls. Top with prawns, spring onion, snow peas, capsicum and coriander.
- Garnish with black sesame seeds.
Don't miss Nikki and Jordan's recipes in every issue of Motorhomes Caravans & Destinations. Subscribe here.