Serves 4 (3 meatballs each)
- 500g 5 percent fat minced beef
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black peper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 medium egg yolk
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 70g reduced-fat mozzarella, split into 12 equal pieces
For the sauce
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 50g tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion granules
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- ½ tsp red wine vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan 180°C/gas mark 6). Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Mix all of the meatball ingredients (except the mozzarella and half of the parsley) together in a bowl until well combined, then divide the meatball mixture into 12 equal pieces.
- Enclose one piece of mozzarella in each portion of meatball mix. Firmly roll each one into a ball. Place the meatballs on the baking tray and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, make the sauce. Put all of the sauce ingredients in a pan, bring to the boil and cook over a low–medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Blitz the sauce with a stick blender, or in a blender or food processor until smooth, season to taste with salt and pepper, then return it to the pan. Add the baked meatballs to the sauce and stir well.
- Sprinkle with the remaining chopped parsley and serve.