Serves 4, prep and cook time 20 minutes
- 500g bacon, rind removed, cut into strips
- 4 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 100g mixed salad leaves
- 200g grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthways
- 1 telegraph cucumber, cut into quarters lengthways, then into 1cm chunks
- 1 medium (200g) yellow capsicum, chopped finely
- 3/4 cup (100g) semi-dried tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- ¾ cup store-bought ranch dressing, or a vinaigrette-style dressing, if you prefer
- 40g parmesan cheese, shaved from the block using a vegetable peeler
- 4 green onions (green shallots), sliced finely
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon, stirring, for a few minutes or until it is rendering its fat and starting to turn golden. Meanwhile, place the bread in a food processor and process until it’s about the size of a fingernail (chunky crumbs). Add to the pan with the bacon and the olive oil, if needed, and fry until bread is golden and crisp. Remove from the heat.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, boil some lightly salted water. When boiling, lower the eggs into the water and cook for four minutes. Remove the eggs from the water and set aside (or put in a bowl of cold water). When slightly cooled, peel carefully—they will be soft-boiled.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum, semi-dried tomatoes and dressing, and toss to combine. Divide the mixture among four serving bowls. Sprinkle the bacon mixture over the top. Scatter over the parmesan and place the peeled and halved eggs on top. Sprinkle the green onions over the top and serve.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.